Celebrates 70 Years
While the faces and buildings may have changed over the years, the local service remains as strong as it did back in 1945. The three McGuire brothers started the business as a full service Firestone Hardware, in what is now the Campbell Printing Building. By the late 1940’s, the brothers expanded the business to sell Studebakers and Allis Chalmers tractors.
In 1953, the brothers moved to the current building in an attempt to create more room for the growing business and a third addition - John Deere tractors.
The 1950’s were a time of change and growth for the McGuire business. Allis Chalmers and Studebakers were dropped in order to produce larger sales in the automotive industry. The John Deere franchise was kept until 1996 and was then sold.
In 1957 General Motors approved the brothers to include the Pontiac franchise and in the sixties then brought Chevrolet on board.
President Tom Kleinhardt started with McGuire Chevrolet in 1979. Prior to taking a sales position at his father-in-law’s company, Kleinhardt was an Elementary Physical Education Teacher for Vestaburg. He also coached varsity boys basketball, ninth grade basketball and varsity boys golf. Kleinhardt also coached girls basketball in the late 90’s for Clare High School. Kleinhardt was promoted to Dealer Principal of the company in 1988 and currently still holds this position.
“We have been in Clare for 70 years and we are setting the tone for the next 70 years.”
- Tom Kleinhardt-